Basically this is a konkani food. But when i tasted it for the first time, soon it became one among my favorite food.Here is the recipe;
- Raw rice - 1 cup
- Coconut - 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves - 2 spring
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Coconut oil - 1-2 tbsp
- Green chillies - 1-2 (adjust)
- Tamarind - big gooseberry size
- Refined oil - 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak the tamarind in a little water for few minutes.
- Give a few quick turns in the bender along with the green chillies.
- Do not grind it smoothly. It should be coarse.
- Mix salt & refined oil.
- Now the tamarind water is ready.
- Soak the rice for 1 hour.
- Grind the rice along with coconut to the rava consistency & keep the rice batter ready.
- Heat coconut oil Splutter fenugreek, and curry leaves on medium flame. Do not over fry this.
- Add the prepared rice batter & salt.
- Keep stirring till it becomes tight enough to make balls.
- Remove from heat & transfer it to another vessel.
- Cover & keep it for few minutes.
- When it is warm enough to handle make small flat balls & press one of the flat side with the finger slightly. So that it cooks evenly.
- Now steam boil this balls for 15 to 20 minutes or till it is done.
- Serve hot with tamarind water.
Note - For 1/2 liter of tamarind water use 1 or 2 green chillies & 3 tbsp of oil.