- Idly rice - 4 cups
- Split urud dhal - 1 cup
- Fenugreek - 2 tbsp
- Poha - 1 cup
- Salt to taste.
- Soak rice, urad dal, poha & fenugreek separately in water for at least 5 hours.
- Boil the poha & grind it with the rice. Do not add too much of water.
- Grind fenugreek & urad dal together to smooth & fluffy.
- Add salt & mix it together with the rice batter.
- Leave it over night for fermentation, at room temperature.
- Now the batter is ready to make idlys.
- Mix the batter thoroughly before pouring the batter into the idly moulds.
- Take idly plates and spread a drop of oil over the entire mould.
- Fill 3/4 of each mould with idly batter.
- Heat water in a idly cooker and place the filled idly plates.
- Cover it with lid & heat in high for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the plates from the vessel and take out the idlys from the moulds using big spoon.
Tips for the recipe - Add 2 tbsp of ghee to the batter before making idlys. Urad dal & fenugreek should be grind very smooth & fluffy, to get smooth idlys.