- Bitter gourd (long variety) - 2 (discard seeds & chop into small pieces)
- Onion - 1 big (Cubed)
- Garlic - 6 nos
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Mustard & urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Sambar powder or chilly powder - 1 or 2 tsp
- Oil - 5 tbsp
- Salt for taste
- Heat the pan with oil on High medium flame.
- Splutter mustard & urad dal.
- Add curry leaves, garlic & onions one by one.
- Fry for 30- 40 seconds.
- Now add the chopped vegetable.
- Add salt & saute well.
- Reduce the flame to medium.
- Do not cover the vegetable.
- Keep stirring often.
- When it is 3/4 done, add the sambhar powder & continue frying.
- Let it fry till it is done.
Tips for the recipe - Preferably go for long variety of bitter gourd. Add salt to the vegetable & allow it to sit for 1 or 2 hours. This will reduce the bitterness of the vegetable.