- Idly rice - 4 cups
- Urad dal - 1 cup
- Fenugreek - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak rice, urad dal & fenugreek separately in water for at least 5 hours.
- Grind urad dal & fenugreek together to a smooth batter.
- Grind the rice separately.
- Mix them together & add salt .
- Add water if necessary.
- Leave the batter in room temperature overnight.
- Heat the Dosa tawah on medium high.
- Rub the pan with oil/ghee dipped cloth or tissue towel.
- Spread one ladle of batter on the tawa, starting from the middle in a rotating motion to make dosa.
- Make a thin layer for crispy & light dosa.
- Flame should be between medium and low.
- Drizzle some oil & cover the dosa for few minutes or till it becomes brown in color.
- Once it is golden brown, remove it from the tawa using your spatula.
- Serve it hot with sambhar or chutney.
- After spreading the dosa on the tawa, allow it to cook till it is golden brown & do not cover it. Once the bottem layer is done, turn it off (using your spatula). So that the other side gets cooked. Remove it from flame when both the sides becomes golden brown in color.
- For uttapam, spread thick layer of batter on the tawa. Cover & cook till the bottom layer becomes golden brown in color.
Tips for the recipe - It is better to soak the rice overnight. Use flat round ladle to spread dosa. The batter should be in medium thin consistency. It should not be very thick for crispy & light dosa. Tawah should not be over heated. After heating your tawah, dont pour the oil, but just rub it with oil dipped cloth. Because too much oil in the pan will make it difficult to spread the batter thinly & evenly. If possible, spread it evenly & quickly. Do not retouch the portion which had been already spreaded. For crispy dosas the flame should be on medium - low.