For the dough
For the stuffing
Tips for the recipe - Make balls as soon as possible. Later it becomes hard & it is difficult to make balls.
- Raw rice - 1 cup
- Coconut - 1/2 cup
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Chana dal - 1/2 cup
- Powdered jaggery - 1/4 cup or adjust
- Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Cook the dal till soft & half broken.
- Drain the excess water & mash the dal by adding jaggery.
- Heat the pan with ghee.
- Add the dal mixture & saute well till it turns dry.
- It should become thick enough to make balls.
- Finally mix grated coconut with the dal & remove from heat.
- Allow it to cool & use it for stuffing
- Soak the rice for 1 hour.
- Grind the rice along with coconut to the rava consistency & keep the rice batter ready.
- Heat oil in the pan & add the prepared rice batter & little salt.
- Keep stirring till it becomes tight enough to make balls.
- Remove from heat & transfer it to another vessel.
- Cover & keep it for few minutes.
- When it is warm enough to handle, take small quantity of the dough to make medium sized ball & keep the stuffing inside.
- Cover it & form it to any desire shape.
- Repeat it with all the balls.
- Now steam boil this balls for 15 to 20 minutes or till it is done.
- Serve hot.