- Beetroot - 1 (Chopped)
- Channa dal - 1/4 cup
- Caster oil - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Onion - 1 medium size (Chopped)
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Mutard & Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Coconut - 2 tbsp
- Shambhar powder or kuzhambu powder - 1tsp
- Oil - 1-2 tbsp
- Salt for taste
- Add little water & caster oil to the dal.
- Cook it on medium flame, till it is half broken .
- Do not allow the dal to become completely mashy.
- Grind the coconut & keep aside.
- Sprinkle little water to the vegetable & cook it on low medium flame (by adding Salt) for 5 minutes.
- Add dal to the vegetable.
- Cook it till the vegetable is almost done.
- Now mix in the grinded coconut & allow it cook for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in kadai on high medium flame.
- Splutter mustard, urad dal, cumin & curry leaves one by one.
- Add onions and fry till it becomes brown in color.
- Add sambhar powder & salt
- Now add the vegetable mixture & allow it to cook for 2 minutes.
- Then remove from heat & serve hot.
Tips for the recipe - The natural taste of the betroot is sweet. So the amount of salt should be less than normal to retain the natural taste.