- Red beans (Karamani) - 1/2 cup
- Pumpkin - 2 cups (medium size cubes)
- Curry leaves - few
- Mustard & Urad dal - 1/4 tsp
- Onion - 1 medium size (chopped)
- Tomato - 1 medium size (chopped)
- Chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Red chillies - 2 (halved)
- Coconut - 1 tbsp (shredded)
- Jaggery (optional) - 1/2 tsp
- Boil Red Beans till it is half broken. Do not drain the water completely. Keep at least 1/2 a cup of cooked water & drain the rest if any.
- Cook the pumpkin with little salt & keep it aside.
- Heat oil in kadai on high medium flame.
- Splutter mustard, urad dal, cumin, chillies, curry leaves one by one.
- Add onions and fry till it becomes light brown in color.
- Add the tomatoes & fry till it becomes slightly mashy.
- Add salt & chilly powder.
- Now add the pumpkin & the beans with cooked water.
- Cook till the gravy becomes thick & slightly mashy.
- Add the coconut & jaggery.
- Mix well & remove from heat.
- Serve it with roti or rice.
Tips for the recipe - If the pumpkin is already very sweet then it is not necessary to add jaggery. Or else you can add little jaggery for good taste.