- Basmathi rice - 1 cup(160 g)
- Onion - 1 small size (Chopped)
- Curry leaves - 1 string
- Coconut milk - 1/2 cup (80 ml)
- Cinnamon - 2 pieces (1 inch each)
- Cloves - 4
- Cardamom - 2
- Oil - 2 1/2 tbsp
- Fried cashew - 1 tbsp
- Salt for taste
To grind (to smooth paste)
- Ginger - 3/4 inch
- Garlic - 3
- Ani seeds - 1 tsp
- Mint leaves - 1/2 bunch(1 cup)
- Green chillies - 2 or adjust
- Soak the rice for 1/2 an hour.
- Grind the group I ingredient separately.
- Fry the group II ingredient & make a paste.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker, on high medium flame.
- Splutter cinnamon, cloves, cardamom & curry leaves one by one.
- Add the group I ingredient paste & fry till the oil separates.
- Add onions, salt and fry till it becomes light brown in color.
- Add the group II ingredient paste & continue frying.
- Fry till nice aroma arise & becomes dry.
- Now add the soaked rice & add 1 1/2 cup(240 ml) of water.
- Now add coconut milk.
- Mix well, check for salt & cover the cooker when the water stars bubbling.
- Reduce the flame to low.
- Let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Switch off the flame & wait for 5 minutes.
- Then open the cooker & mix gently.
- Garnish it with fried cashews & serve it with raita.
Tips for the recipe - Add very few drops of lemon juice before coving the cooker. It helps the rice grains to remain fluffy & not sticky. Do not over fry the group II ingredients. Do not add much water while grinding the masala.