- Basmathi rice - 1 cup(160 ml cup)
- Peas - 1/3 cup (80 - 100 grams)
- Onion - 1 small size (Chopped)
- Curry leaves - 1 string
- Green chillies - 5(slitted)
- Cloves - 5
- Bay leaves - 1
- Coconut milk - 1 cup (160 ml)
- Cinnamon - 2 pieces (1 inch each)
- Cardamom - 2
- Lemon juice - few drops
- Oil - 2 1/2 tbsp
- Salt for taste
To grind (to smooth paste)
- Ginger - 3/4 inch
- Garlic - 3
- Ani seeds - 1 tsp
- Soak the rice for 1/2 an hour.
- Grind the group II ingredients & make a paste.
- Heat oil in pressure pan, on high medium flame.
- Splutter cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, bay leaves & curry leaves one by one.
- Add onions, green chillies, salt and fry till it becomes light brown in color.
- Add the grounded paste & fry till the oil separates.
- Add peas & fry well.
- Now add the soaked rice & add 1 cup(160 ml) of water.
- Now add the coconut milk & the lemon juice.
- Mix well, check for salt & cover the cooker when the water stars bubbling.
- Reduce the flame to low.
- Let it cook for 15 minutes.
- Switch off the flame & wait for 5 minutes.
- Then open the cooker & mix gently.
- Serve it with raita or any gravy.
Tips for the recipe - Add a spoon of ghee either while sauting the onions or before serving.