- Tamarind - Small lemon size
- Cooked plain rice - 1 cup
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Red chillies - 2
- Green chillies - 2
- Onion - 1 small size (chopped length wise)
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 2 (chopped)
- Hing - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/8 tsp
- Sambhar powder or chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek powder - 2 pinches
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Mustard seeds & Urad dal -1/4 tsp
- Roasted groundnuts - 1 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of water.
- Fry the groundnuts with little oil & keep aside.
- Heat oil in the pan & splutter mustard & urad dal.
- Add cumin, chillies, hing, curry leaves, garlic & onion.
- Fry till onion becomes light brown in color.
- Add turmeric, sambhar powder & salt.
- Now squeeze out the tamarind & pour the tamarind water.
- Cook till it becomes thick and oil leaves out.
- Now add the cooked rice, groundnuts, fenugreek powder & mix well.
- Serve hot.
Tips for the recipe - Use gingerly oil instead of refined oil for good taste. Puli masala should become really thick before you add the rice. Preferably use sambhar powder for good taste.