- Potato - 2 medium size (Chopped into medium size cubes)
- Onion - 1 small size (Chopped)
- Curry leaves - 1 string
- Tomato - 1 medium size(chopped)
- Ginger & garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Shambhar powder - 1/4 or 1/2 tsp (use according to the spice level)
- Chilly powder - 1/4 or 1/2 tsp (use according to the spice level)
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard -1/4 tsp
- Urad Dal - 1/4 tsp
- Lemon - few drops(optional)
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp(chopped)
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Salt for taste
- Boil the potatoes with salt & 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder & keep it aside.
- Heat oil in kadai, on high medium flame.
- Splutter mustard, urad dal & curry leaves one by one.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste & fry till the oil separates.
- Add onions and fry till it becomes light brown in color.
- Add the chopped tomatoes & continue frying till it becomes mashy.
- Now add sambhar powder, chilly powder, turmeric powder & salt.
- Fry for 1 minute.
- Now add the potato & mix well.
- Slightly mash the potato using the spatula or the potato masher.
- Do not mash the potato completely. slightly press it for few times.
- Add few drops of lemon juice, coriander leaves & mix well.
- Serve it with roti or rice.
Tips for the recipe - Chilly powder & sambhar powder can be used at the ratio of 1;1 for good taste. Some times the tomatoes may be sour. In such case you can avoid adding the lemon drops.If you feel like having more sour taste, then you can add more lemon juice.