Ingredients (group I)
- Potatoes - 2 big size (chopped lengthwise)
- Onion - 1
- Mustard & urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Tomato - 1
- Curry leaves - few
- Chilly powder - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
To grind(group II)
- Garlic - 4
- Ginger - equal to garlic
- Aniseed - 1 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 - 3/4 inch
- Cloves - 4
- Cardamon - 2
- Coconut - 1 tbsp
- Grind the group II ingredients & keep it aside.
- Half boil the potatoes & transfer it to the tissue towel, so that the moisture is absorbed. Then deep fry them.
- In the wok pan add some more oil & put it on high medium flame.
- Then through some mustard & urad dal. Add curry leaves & onions. Fry till the onions turn slight brown color.
- Now add tomatoes, chilly powder & salt.When the tomatoes turns mashy, add the grind masala & mix well.
- Slowly add the potatoes & mix gently. Reduce the flame to medium & keep mixing every 5 mints.
- Remove from the flame, when you see some oil from the sides.
Tips for the recipe - This fry requires 2 or 3 spoons of more oil. For this recipe & i normally dont put the potatoes in the tissue towel after deep frying it(to remove the excess oil). I just directly put them in to the masala, since this requires oil. Instead of potatoes, you can also add plantains. You can chop them into cubes or 1/4 inch round slices.