For the plain dough
- Unbleached All-purpose flour - 2 cups
- Water - 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 1 tbsp
For the butter package
- Unsalted butter - 250 grams
- Unbleached All-purpose flour - for dusting
- Chop & add the butter to the flour to mix it or just smash it with your hands & add it to the flour.
- Mix all the ingredients (for dough) in the mixing bowl to make a smooth dough.
- If you need more water add 1 tsp at a time.
- Once it is mixed well transfer it to the work surface & knead well.
- Cover it with a plastic wrap & put it in the fridge for 1 hour.
- For butter package, sprinkle little flour on the work surface & place the butter pieces
- Sprinkle some flour on top of the butter.
- Gently beat the butter pieces by using your rolling pin to flatten it & to make a square shape.
- Roll out the dough into square shape. While making it, create a mound in the center as shown in the below photograph.
- Now place the butter package in the center.
- Fold the corners of the dough to cover the butter package completely.
- Sprinkle some flour & beat the butter dough package very gently.
- Gently roll it out to a rectangular shape.
- Fold the bottom third up & then fold the top third down. Now this is the first turn. Transfer it to the fridge by wrapping it in the plastic wrap. Let it sit in the fridge for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Repeat the same rolling & folding method for another 5 times (totally 6 turns). After each rolling & folding let it rest in the fridge for 25 - 30 minutes. The below picture was taken after 5th folding.
- After the 6th turn, wrap it in the plastic wrap & place it in the fridge for 2 hours before use.
- Then cut & shape the dough as you like. Or make pastry sheets of 8 inches in height & 3 inches in width.
- Now wrap it completely or zipper bag it & freeze this for later use.
- You can use this up to 1 month.
- For plain puff without any stuffing, directly place the pastry squares in the preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes at 375 degree Fahrenheit.
- For different stuffing & other variety puffs refer to my other recipes in the baking section.
Tips for the recipe - The dough should not be watery. Use cold & hard butter for butter package. Knead the plain dough well before & after placing it in the refrigerator (before shaping it). Every time when you knead the butter package(with dough) it should be cold enough or else the butter will melt & may pop out. Heat from your hands will make the butter to melt soon. So take care while handing with your hands. Return it to the fridge whenever you feel that the butter has become loose & starts melting.