- Brinjal - 6 nos(Chopped lengthwise)
- Drumsticks - 15 - 20 pieces (Chopped into 1 inch length)
- Onion - 1 (chopped lengthwise)
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Tomato - 1 (Chopped)
- Mutard & Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Sambhar powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coconut (fresh or dry) - 1 1/2 tbsp
- Ani seeds - 1 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Salt for taste
- Coarsely grind aniseed with coconut (without adding water) & keep aside.
- Heat oil in the kadai on high medium flame.
- Splutter mustard, urad dal, & curry leaves one by one.
- Add onions and fry till it becomes brown in color.
- Add in the tomatoes & fry till it becomes mashy.
- Now add the vegetable and fry well.
- Add the dry masala powders(sambar powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder)
- Add salt & saute well.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of water & reduce the flame to medium.
- Cover & cook till the brinjals are tender.
- Check there is no excess water.
- Now add the grinded coconut masala & mix well.
- Remove from heat & serve hot.
Tips for the recipe - This poriyal is not very dry. So you can allow the vegetable to cook till they are tender.