- Self rising flour- 1 cup
- Brown sugar - 2/3 cup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder - 1/4 or 1/2 cup
- Refined oil - 1/3 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
- Water - 3/4 cup
- Spray oil to grease the pan
- Whipped cream - 1 1/2 cup
- Cherry Mixture/Jam - 3/4 - 1 cup
For the cake
- Mix first 3 ingredients together in the mixing bowl.
- Now add oil & water to the flour & mix till it gets incorporated.
- Add lemon juice & the extract & continue mixing. Take care that you do not mix too much.
- Preheat the oven at 350 degree Fahrenheit for 5 minutes.
- Grease the pan well with spray or oil.
- Pour the batter & bake it for 20 -25 minutes or till it is done.
Put a sharp knife in the cake. When you take it out, it should come out clean. If it comes up with some wet batter, then it needs more baking time.
- After 10 minutes, remove it from the pan & allow it to cool completely.
- Then cover the cake & refrigerate it for few hours. It is not necessary to cut the top of the cake.
- Now arrange it in the tray. Gently press it (do not press it too hard), you can also cut the cake & arrange it if needed. It should be evenly placed as shown in the picture.(You can also directly bake it in the square or rectangular baking dish).
- Apply the cream evenly on the top of the cake.
- Spread the cherry mixture on the cream.
- Cover & chill the dessert. Scoop the dessert from the sides & serve chill.
Tips for the recipe - I like to have little bitter taste in my chocolate cake. so i have added half a cup of coco powder. If you don't like to have bitter taste then you can reduce the coco powder to 1/4 cup. Instead of whipped cream, you can also use sweeten butter or cheese, anything of your choice. Brown sugar is best for this recipe but still you can go ahead with white sugar also. I like to have more cake, medium cream & less cherries. So I have arranged the cake in the 6 inch length square tray. If you like to have a thin layer of cake then you can go for lengthier tray. Also you can increase the amount of cream if you wish. Take care while adding cherries. Too much of cherries may make your dessert too sweet or sometimes sour. If you don't have self rising flour you can make you own self rising flour at home by mixing & sieving all the following ingredients together.
1 cup of plain flour/All purpose
1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
General tips for cakes - If you open the oven too soon, your cake may not rise well due to the change in the temperature.
Using a small sharp knife will loosen the cake from the sides of the pan & then turn the pan upside down to remove the cake gently from the pan.
After removing the cake from the oven allow it to cool for 10 minutes (approximately) & then remove the cake from the pan. Or else cake gets stuck to the pan.
It may also gets stuck even if the pan is not properly prepared.
Also do not allow the cake to stay in the pan for a long time. It makes the bottom part of the cake soggy.
After greasing the pan, dust little plain flour before pouring the batter.It helps the cake to come out clean.