- Self - rising flour - 3/4 cup
- Butter - 1/4 cup
- Milk - 1/4 cup
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Egg white - from 2 eggs
- Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
- Beat the butter & sugar (powdered sugar makes the work easy) together till it becomes soft & fluffy.
- Beat the egg whites well.
- Mix the egg white with the butter & beat again for few minutes.
- Now add the milk & vanilla extract. Mix well it gets incorporated with the egg mixture.
- Now add the flour little by little & fold it very gently.
- Fold it in the same direction (till you finish) by rotating the mixing bowl slightly.
- Do not mix it too hard or in different directions for that may affect the texture of the cake by breaking the air bubbles.
- Now grease the pan with little butter & then dust some flour on top of it & keep the pan ready.
- Pour the prepared mixture on it & place it in the preheated oven at 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- Bake it for 25 minutes or till it is done.
Simple Test - Gently press the cake using clean hand on the top of the cake. It should springs back. Then your cake is ready.
Put a sharp knife in the cake. When you take it out, it should come out clean. If it comes up with some wet batter, then it needs more baking.
If you don't have self rising flour you can make your own self rising flour at home by mixing & sieving all the following ingredients together.
1 cup of plain flour/All purpose
1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
- If you open the oven too soon, your cake may not rise well due to the change in the temperature.
- Using a small sharp knife loosen the cake from the sides of the pan & then turn the pan upside down to remove the cake gently from the pan.
- After removing the cake from the oven allow it to cool for 10 minutes(approximately) & then remove the cake from the pan. Or else cake gets stuck to the pan.
- It may also gets stuck even if the pan is not properly prepared.
- Also do not allow the cake to stay in the pan for a long time. It makes the bottom part of the cake soggy.