I got the recipe from one of the popular tv shows & slightly altered. This is the best eggplant parmesan that i have ever tasted. Here is the recipe;
- eggplant - 2 (sliced 1/4 inch )
- Onion - 2 (chopped)
- Tomatoes - 6 (chopped)
- Olives - 1/4 cup
- Garlic - 10 (chopped)
- Olive oil as required
- Mixed dried herbs -1/2 tsp
- All purpose flour - 1/2 cup or as required
- Parmesan cheese - 1-2 cups or as required
- Salt to taste
- Heat some olive oil in the pan over medium flame.
- Sauté garlic and then onions till it becomes translucent.
- Add chopped olives and the tomatoes. Fry till it becomes mushy.
- Now add some salt and the herbs.
- Increase the flame and cook till it reaches the semi solid sauce consistency.
- Apply little oil to the tray and keep it ready.
- Dust the eggplant with the flour (mix little salt to the flour) and deep fry them.
- Drain the excess oil and arrange the fried slices in the tray. Pour a spoon of prepare sauce on top of each egg plant and then sprinkle some cheese. This is one layer.
- Now repeat the process and make at least 2 or 3 more layers of eggplant. Finish the final layer with cheese.
- Preheat the oven at 350 degree and place the tray. Leave it for few minutes or till the cheese melts.
I had some leftover sauce. I cooked some angle hair pasta and mixed it with the sauce. so that the complete meal is ready to serve.