- Eggs - 4 (separated)
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Self rising flour - 3/4 cup
- Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
- Clean kitchen towel to roll the cake
- Powdered sugar to dust the towel
- Butter or oil spray to grease the pan
- Beat the egg whites till it becomes stiff.
- Add sugar & continue beating till you get a creamy texture.
- Add essence & yolks & then beat moderately for few minutes.
- Add the flour slowly & fold it gently.
- Fold it in the same direction (till you finish) by rotating the mixing bowl slightly.
- Do not mix it too hard or in different directions as this will affect the texture of the cake by breaking the air bubbles.
- Grease a 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan & line with waxed or parchment paper.
- Also grease the waxed paper with little butter & then dust some flour on top of it & keep the pan ready.
- Pour the prepared mixture on it & place it in preheated oven at 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- Bake it for 15-20 minutes or till it is done.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar on the clean kitchen towel & keep it ready.
- When the cake is out from the oven, remove it from the pan with in 5 minutes & place it on the towel.
- Remove the waxed paper & roll it up.
- Allow it to cool completely (approximately 1 or 2 hours).
- Unroll the cake & apply a layer of the white cream as shown in the picture.
- Now roll back the cake carefully.
- You can divide the cake into three pieces(1/2 " round pieces, 1 1/2 " round piece & remaining as third long piece) as shown in the picture or use it as a single log cake or any other shape of your choice.
- Arrange the cake on the serving tray & spread the dark chocolate cream lengthwise using fork, so that it resembles like a tree bark.
- Then spread the light chocolate color to the cut sides of the cake & finish it off.
Simple Test - Gently press the cake using clean hand on the top of the cake. It should spring back. Then your cake is ready.
Put a sharp knife in the cake. When you take it out, it should come out clean. If it comes up with some wet batter, then it needs more baking.
If you don't have self rising flour you can make your own self rising flour at home by mixing & sieving all the following ingredients together.
1 cup of plain flour/All purpose
1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
Tips for the recipe - You can use any cream (whipped cream, butter cream, cheese cream) of your choice. If you dont have waxed or parchment paper at home, go-ahead & pour the batter directly on the pan. But take care that the pan should be prepared properly. Grease the pan & then dust some flour. I used icing colors to get good dark & light brown color.