We have limited choice when it comes to yellow vegetable. Yellow vegetables are filled with nutritional benefits & it is highly recommended in our daily diet. Here is the south indian recipe with yellow squash. I have equally added zucchini with it. It is your choice of adding zucchini or just prepare it with yellow squash. Really tasty & healthy dish.
- Yellow squash & zucchini - 6-8 (depends upon the size (Chopped))
- Channa dal - 1/2 cup
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Onion - 1 medium size (Chopped)
- Green chillies - 6
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Mustard & Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Coconut - 2-3 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Oil - 1-2 tbsp
- Salt for taste
- Add some water & cook the dal till it is half broken. Careful do not allow the dal to become completely mashy.
- Heat oil in kadai on high medium flame.
- Splutter mustard, urad dal, cumin & curry leaves one by one.
- Add onions, asafoetida and fry till it becomes translucent.
- Add the vegetable, turmeric pwd & salt. Fry for few minutes.
- Reduce the flame & cover the vegetable. Let it cook for few mins. Stir in-between.
- Add coconut & coriander leaves when its done.
- Serve it with rice.