- Par boiled rice - 1 cup
- Split moong dal - 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp
- Ghee - 1/4 cup
- Hing - 1/4 tsp
- Ginger - 1 tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Pepper corns - 1 tsp
- Green chilly (optional) - 1
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Cashew - 2 tbsp
- Wash & pressure cook (for 1 cup of rice add 5 cups of water) the dal & rice together (app 5 whistles).
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in the pan & fry the cashews till it becomes golden brown.
- Remove it from the ghee soon & add it to the cooked rice with some salt.
- Now in the same pan splutter cumin seeds, pepper corns, curry leaves, green chillies & hing one by one.
- Add more ghee if needed. Roast it for 1 minute. Now pour this mixture in the pongal & mix well.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of ghee & mix well.
- Serve it hot with coconut chutney.
Tips for the recipe - You can add little milk while cooking the rice, so that the pongal becomes more soft. I add salt later because I always cook venpongal & sweet pongal together. Once the rice is cooked, I take half of rice to prepare sweet pongal & then mix the salt to the remaining ven pongal while doing the seasoning. If you are making only ven pongal then you can add salt in the water & cook the rice.