- Par boiled rice - 1 cup
- Split moong dal - 1/2 cup
- Ghee - 1/4 cup
- Jaggery (crushed, shredded or powdered) - 1 1/2 cup
- Cardamon powder - few pinches
- Raisin - 1-2 tbsp
- Cashew - 2 tbsp
- Wash & pressure cook (for 1 cup of rice, add 5 cups of water) the dal & rice together (app 5 whistles).
- When the pressure releases, open the cooker & switch on the flame to low medium.
- Add the jaggery & keep mixing it till you dont see any jaggery pieces .
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in the pan.
- Fry raisins & cashews till it becomes golden brown. Pour it into the pongal.
- Add the remaining ghee & sprinkle some cardamon powder.
- Mix well & serve hot.
Tips for the recipe - You can add 1/2 cup milk while cooking the rice, so that the pongal becomes more soft.